Welcome

"So come lose your life for a carpenter's son
For a madman who died for a dream
And you'll have the faith His first followers had
And you'll feel the weight of the beam"--Michael Card

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A Prayer of St. Augustine

I read Augustine's Confessions a couple of years back.

I think we miss out if we only read modern writers. According to St. Paul, God has gifted his Church throughout the ages with apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors, and teachers (Eph. 4:11). Thanks to the gift of writing, we can profit today from individuals whom God graced hundreds of years ago. These were gifts to the Church and there is wealth in what they left behind for us--spiritual wealth.

A book like Confessions is a gold mine. It has historical value, it gives insight into the thinking of the early church, it challenges us to step outside our neat little boxes and see what God has been doing elsewhere and at other times.

Two things stood out for me as I read Confessions. Those two things were humility and faith. If you think about it, both are the products of a closer relationship with God. A proud man cannot, dare not draw nigh to God. The closer one gets to God, the more about oneself is revealed. We cannot help but be humbled in the presence of the Thrice Holy One. And when we are humbled, we have no choice but to look to Him in faith. When we are far from him, in our pride we think we are sufficient. Drawing nigh to him, we see our insufficiency and are driven to depend upon Him. To whom else can we turn?

Holiness is not an action, it is a relationship. We are only holy in relation to how close we are to Him. He is our holiness.
Nothing in my hands I bring
Simply to the cross I cling
Naked come to thee for dress
Helpless cry to thee for grace
Foul, I to the fountain fly
Wash me Savior, or I die
I did not intend to preach a sermon with this post. I intended to point to something said by St. Augustine way back in the day, something I copied down to remind myself of from time to time. Here it is:
Let me know Thee, O Lord, who knowest me: let me know Thee, as I am known. Power of my soul, enter into it, and fit it for Thee, that Thou mayest have and hold it without spot or wrinkle. This is my hope, therefore do I speak; and in this hope do I rejoice, when I rejoice healthfully. Other things of this life are the less to be wept for, the more they are wept for; and the more to be wept for, the less men weep for them. For behold, Thou lovest the truth and he that doth it, cometh to the light. This would I do in my heart before Thee in confession: and in my writing, before many witnesses.--Confessions of St. Augustine, Book Ten, chapter 1.

(Scriptures referenced: 1 Cor. 13:12; Eph. 5:27; Ps. 116:10; Ps. 51:6; John 3:20)
Meditate on that and make it your prayer.

2 comments:

Ev said...

Do you ever wonder what humility looks like? Moses was the most humble man who ever lived - maybe I need to study him more. Humility definitely doesn't look like what I used to think it did. We love ourselves as God does - used to be told this was pride. It's not - we have to learn to do this to learn what humility is. Serving God & others ahead of ourselves. Moses was humble - but I'm not sure I would have wanted to cross him in many things.....

James Spurgeon said...

"I know that in me, that is, in my flesh, dwelleth no good thing. For to will is present with me, but how to perform that which is good, I find not."--Paul (as close to the KJV as I can remember and I haven't picked up one in years) from somewhere in Romans 7.

Humility is understanding who we are in relation to God and how much we depend upon Him for everything. Humility is what the Law reminds us of.