Welcome

"So come lose your life for a carpenter's son
For a madman who died for a dream
And you'll have the faith His first followers had
And you'll feel the weight of the beam"--Michael Card

Monday, February 14, 2011

A Godward Focus

While contemplating what should be the focus and emphasis of this blog it occurred to me that the blog is supposed to reflect my life as it is. This is how I originally viewed it, as sort of a launching ground for whatever happens to be on my mind. What usually occupy my thoughts are ideology, theology, basketball, and my family (in no particular order). Now, what occupies my mind and what should be occupying my mind at any given moment are not necessarily the same thing. How this blog helps me is that it confronts me with what I need to be thinking on and writing about. It helps me to focus on what is important. While not all of life is church, per se, all of life should be Christ. And while not all of life is worship, all of life is worship. In other words, and I should blog on this at some point, our separation of the spiritual from the secular is an artificial distinction. For the Christian, all of life is spiritual, even the most mundane elements.

Which brings me to my point, I think. If all of life is about God, then God should be the focus of my life, and thus God should be the focus of this blog. That doesn't mean I won't be posting about politics or basketball or whatever else. What it means is that in any posts of that nature there will be an attempt made to think and write about them with a Godward focus. It also means that the main thrust of my theological writing will be how to help us think about God and view the world through a God-first mindset.


The purpose of the universe, after all, is to bring glory to God. It is all about Him.

2 comments:

Ev said...

The Jews have that mindset. It's the Greek mindset that separates the spiritual from the secular. You're right - all of life is about worship, even the mundane.

James Spurgeon said...

The Puritans also had that mindset. I, on the other hand, often forget it.