Welcome

"So come lose your life for a carpenter's son
For a madman who died for a dream
And you'll have the faith His first followers had
And you'll feel the weight of the beam"--Michael Card

Thursday, July 12, 2018

Mark 14:27-31 - The Faithfulness of Jesus

I had originally intended to preach one sermon covering verses 22-31, but there was just too much there. I finally divided it into two, and this is the second. The following excerpt is from the conclusion of this sermon and when you read it you will see why I chose the title that I did.

“All of us fail. That is the reason why Christ has come. Even Jesus’ closest followers abandon and deny him. Yet Jesus stands faithful. He is the stalwart who remains faithful when all around him fail. That is the gospel in a nutshell. Jesus succeeded where we failed.



Salvation is not a tag team effort. It is not Jesus and the apostles who save. It is not Jesus and me working together. It is Jesus alone. It is true that he will work in me and through me and that he will produce works in me and through me, but those works are his, not mine. They are his grace at work. Without his grace I could do nothing. The same is true for all of us.

This night the eleven will have their chance to die for Jesus. They will all fail. But before 24 hours are up he will have died for them. And in this final failure, this final denial, we are reminded of the truth that none of us is worthy, that Christ came not to call the righteous, but sinners. That Christ came into the world to save sinners. 

Peter and Mark include this story of the failure of the disciples in order to drive that truth home to us. We need Jesus. Without him we are nothing. And he died for us, not because of our strength, but because of our lack. When we were sinners Christ died for us. When we were weak, and at the right time, Christ died for the ungodly. Are you weak? Come find rest in Christ.”

To listen to the whole sermon just click the link below. God bless you. I hope you will.


Click here: Mark 14:27-31 - The Faithfulness of Jesus


^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No comments: