Welcome

"So come lose your life for a carpenter's son
For a madman who died for a dream
And you'll have the faith His first followers had
And you'll feel the weight of the beam"--Michael Card

Friday, May 4, 2018

Mark 13:1-13 - The End Is Not Yet

Chapter 13 has been a daunting mountain landscape looming on the horizon of my mind since I began preaching through this gospel over a year ago. I knew it was coming and that I wasn’t ready for it, so I began reading books in preparation months ahead of time. One of the books I read was Herman Ridderbos’s Coming of the Kingdom. I wanted to be sure I was interpreting Jesus’s words in this chapter in a way that was consistent with the rest of what he and Mark were saying in this gospel, as well as in the greater context of all the Bible.

By the time I got to this chapter, though, I was feeling more confident. And I believe I have conveyed the sense accurately. You may be the judge of that. In the end I took four sermons to cover the chapter. The first one I called “The End Is Not Yet.” I’ve linked it below.




My take on this chapter is probably different than what you’re used to if you’ve heard any preaching from Jesus’s Olivet Discourse before. Although it may be different from a more modern take, I assure you it is right in the center of Christian orthodoxy. There is no new teaching here as far as the history of the Church. In fact, I would argue that what you’ve heard is the new teaching. What I went digging to find is just older, perhaps forgotten in our day, but certainly more accurate to the text.

So I want to encourage you to click the link below and listen to Jesus’s words of prophecy concerning Jerusalem and the temple in an older, fresher way. God bless.


Click here: Mark 13:1-13 - The End Is Not Yet


^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No comments: