Welcome

"So come lose your life for a carpenter's son
For a madman who died for a dream
And you'll have the faith His first followers had
And you'll feel the weight of the beam"--Michael Card

Thursday, October 12, 2017

Mark 10:1-12 - Jesus On Marriage And Divorce

This is the divorce sermon. I dreaded it for months and I probably did more preparation for this sermon than for any other sermon I have ever preached. I started months ahead of time ordering two books and reading them both before even attempting to preach this passage.

The first of those books was this one by Jay Adams: Marriage, Divorce, and Remarriage In the Bible

The second was by David Instone-Brewer: Divorce and Remarriage In the Bible—The Social and Literary Context

Although the two authors will disagree slightly on the grounds for a divorce, I highly recommend both. For what it’s worth, Adams is a Presbyterian and Brewer is a Baptist.



This is a controversial topic and the Scripture is not always as clear as we would like it to be. I tried my best to do justice to the passage and to look at it in the light of all the other passages of Scripture that speak to this topic. I hope what I gave is a balanced approach that glorified Christ and the gospel, and elevated marriage in the way that Jesus intended. I hope also that I was able to hold a high standard and yet extend grace to all. You be the judge.

The sermon is about 35 minutes in length. As in all things, listen with discernment and be open to what the Scripture says. You can listen by clicking below. Soli Deo Gloria.


Click here: Mark 10:1-12 - Jesus On Marriage and Divorce


^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No comments: