Welcome

"So come lose your life for a carpenter's son
For a madman who died for a dream
And you'll have the faith His first followers had
And you'll feel the weight of the beam"--Michael Card

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Galatians 2:17-21 - Crucified With Christ

When we get to the end of chapter two in Galatians we are wrapping up the first part of Paul's case against the Judaizers. We are ending the narrative portion of the letter and transitioning into the theological argument. Somewhere in these verses Paul's recollection of his words to Peter meld into Paul's straightforward words to the Galatians. Where, precisely, that happens we are not sure. What we do know is that Paul's words here are some of the most profound we find in all his epistles.

First, he answers the charge of antinomianism. We are not saved to sin, we are saved to serve.

(19) For through the law I died to the law, so that I might live to God.

The law condemned me and slew me. This was its role. It condemned me and killed me that Christ might make me alive. This is Paul's answer to the charge of antinomianism. Grace does not give me a license to sin. Grace makes me finally alive to serve. Because he died and arose, we have life. Our death is in his death and our resurrection is in his resurrection.


And now comes verse 20:
(20) I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
To be in Christ means that he took our condemnation upon himself. He died for us in the most basic sense of the word. Our death took place in Christ's death so that death would be destroyed in us. Do you realize that we've been freed from death? Death no longer has any dominion over us.

Our life is not our own, Paul says. Not only do we have the Spirit of Christ residing in us, but right now our life is his. Each day we are to live our lives in such a way as to be able to say that Christ lives in us and through us. We live because of him. We live for him and his purposes. We are in Christ.

There is more--much more--in this passage. I've linked the audio recording of this bible study below so you can listen to all of it. I hope you will take the time to do so and that it will be a blessing to you. Grace.




Click here: Galatians 1:17-21 - Crucified With Christ



^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No comments: